Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "A - O" > Celebrity Cruises

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Celebrity Cruises
NEW! Find Your CELEBRITY Roll Call

Old June 20th, 2012, 12:11 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default What's the service like with the Premium Drinks Package.

I was wondering if you still get good service if you have the Premium Drinks Package. I ask this as the staff won't be directly getting any gratuities or hit any targets they may have as they would with a normal transaction so therefore once they get to know you have a PDP they may prefer to serve others first.
Similar to having a soft drink package and asking the waiters by the pool or in the Theatre for a coke...they would prefer to get a proper sale IMO.

Old June 20th, 2012, 12:44 AM
Cool Cruiser

Never had a problem. One bartender told me they do get the gratuities from the packages, but it's rolled into their pay somehow.

In fact the martini bar guys on the Solstice were great and made sure we tried the full menu

Old June 20th, 2012, 01:44 AM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORDMan View Post
Never had a problem. One bartender told me they do get the gratuities from the packages, but it's rolled into their pay somehow.

In fact the martini bar guys on the Solstice were great and made sure we tried the full menu
Similar situation, never had bad service, in fact quite often got drinks delivered before asking for the card. They would see us come in and sit down and then bring the usual drinks. cheers

Old June 20th, 2012, 05:25 AM
Cool Cruiser

Agree with the previous posters. We had excellent service on the Summit everywhere on the ship. Absolutely no issues and no complaints. Loved the package deal. No negatives at all for us.

Old June 20th, 2012, 05:28 AM
5,000+ Club

Service was an issue in the early days of the package but last year on Eclipse we had no issues with our package and actually found the wine waiter was almost more attentive than we had on later cruises when we were buying bottles and waiting for our glasses to be topped up (we would top ourselves up when drinking red, white not so easy!)

2015 - San Francisco - Vancouver 25 May on Infinity; Southampton - Barcelona 25 August and Christmas/NY in OZ Quest
2016 Cairns - Sydney (Quest)5 Jan; Miami-Nice 5 April and Rome-Dubai 7 Oct (Journey)

Ad Sponsored By
Old June 20th, 2012, 05:30 AM
Cool Cruiser

no service problems at all. I wonder how their tips are calculated. One thing I did notice was that on the last night when the bill was delivered, it seemed to have more drinks on there than we ordered. For example, it showed that we had three glasses of wine at dinner most nights according to the bill, and we never had more than two glasses each a night. We noticed this in other bars as well. I didn't care since they were all zero charges, but it made me think that they probably got a portion of the tip pool based on how many drinks they served.

Old June 20th, 2012, 08:49 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by illiniwahoo View Post
no service problems at all. I wonder how their tips are calculated. One thing I did notice was that on the last night when the bill was delivered, it seemed to have more drinks on there than we ordered. For example, it showed that we had three glasses of wine at dinner most nights according to the bill, and we never had more than two glasses each a night. We noticed this in other bars as well. I didn't care since they were all zero charges, but it made me think that they probably got a portion of the tip pool based on how many drinks they served.
Maybe it was because they topped up the glass for you.
As stated before we have always had great service

Old June 20th, 2012, 09:09 AM
Cool Cruiser

You'll get the same excellent service with or without the drink card. In fact, we tip additional for every round we order and after a day or two, we find ourselves a good server and make sure we take care of them, as they take care of us.

We don't buy the card because although we like to drink, we've found that we don't want to drink fairly heavily every day. We will drink maybe $50 a day each for 2 or 3 days then slack off for a couple of days where maybe we only have a drink or two all day. Our bar tabs are about half of what a premium package would cost and we drink as much as wish, when we wish. Works for us, maybe not for others. And, on a week cruise I could drink 5 of the 7 days, but the 12-14 day cruises take the steam out of us as far as drinking goes.

Of course, I should mention the specialty coffees, juices and other non-alcoholic drinks have no value to us, many enjoy them and that helps in getting value from the drink packages.
February 2011- Royal Caribbean Explorer to Caribbean
June 2011-Celebrity Summit to Bermuda
March 2012 - Celebrity Silhouette to Caribbean
October 2012-Royal Caribbean Explorer to Bermuda
June 2013- NCL Breakaway to Bermuda
September 2013- Caribbean Princess to NE/Canada
March 2014 - Royal Caribbean Explorer to Caribbean
March 2015 - Royal Caribbean Grandeur to Caribbean

Old June 20th, 2012, 09:23 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
One thing I did notice was that on the last night when the bill was delivered, it seemed to have more drinks on there than we ordered. For example, it showed that we had three glasses of wine at dinner most nights according to the bill, and we never had more than two glasses each a night. We noticed this in other bars as well. I didn't care since they were all zero charges, but it made me think that they probably got a portion of the tip pool based on how many drinks they served.
Quote:
Originally Posted by swigso View Post
Maybe it was because they topped up the glass for you.
As stated before we have always had great service
Hmmm...interesting. The glass topping up scenario could apply during dinner but unless you were drinking wine in the bars too that would not explain the extra drinks there. But as you say....who cares?....you aren't being charged per drink anyway, and if it does help the staff gain more tips (or some other benefit) I have no problem with that.

Past Pleasures:
Amari, Carnival Destiny, Carnival Elation, Carnival Paradise, Carnival Ecstasy, Celebrity Solstice, Costa Europa, Cunard Dynasty, Dawn Princess, Diamond Princess, Gemini, Oriana, Pacific Dawn, Pacific Jewel, Pacific Pearl, Pacific Sun, Pacific Star, QE2, Royal Viking Sun, Sapphire Princess, Sea Dream II, Sea Goddess I, Sea Princess, Silver Wind, Sun Princess, Vision of the Seas, Vistafjord, Volendam

Old June 20th, 2012, 10:21 AM
Cool Cruiser

Excellent!!

Old June 20th, 2012, 06:39 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Yes, we found the same situation, the bill showed that we were drinking into the wee hours of the morning (we were not). We also supposedly had drinks in 2 bars at the same time and also had drinks in a bar that we never went to, but as you say $0 on the bill, so who cares. Perhaps the staff were having a few or al east racking up a quota for extra tips. cheers mic

Old June 20th, 2012, 09:06 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicCanberra View Post
Yes, we found the same situation, the bill showed that we were drinking into the wee hours of the morning (we were not). We also supposedly had drinks in 2 bars at the same time and also had drinks in a bar that we never went to, but as you say $0 on the bill, so who cares. Perhaps the staff were having a few or al east racking up a quota for extra tips. cheers mic
And that will increase the cost of the package.

Old June 20th, 2012, 09:32 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spender Nui View Post
And that will increase the cost of the package.
Too true, I won't like it if the price goes up.

Old June 20th, 2012, 11:05 PM
Cool Cruiser

I had the premium alcohol package.
I noticed whenever I ordered a beverage it was ran up in the computer.
They probably get paid their tips according to the drinks each waiter serves.

Maybe that is why there were more drinks on you ledger than you ordered.
I certanily hope this doesn't affect the package prices.

Jun 1997: Celebrity, Zenith-------------------Bermuda
Nov 2003: Celebrity, Constellation-----------Southern Caribbean
Aug 2004: Celebrity, Century-----------------Western Caribbean
Feb 2006: Celebrity, Galaxy-------------------Panama Canal
Jun 2007: Avalon Waterways, Tranquility----Eurpoean River Cruise
Sep 2007: Celebrity, Constellation-----------Canada / New England
Jun 2008: Celebrity, Millennium--------------Alaska
Feb 2010: Celebrity, Equinox-----------------Caribbean
Apr 2010: RCI, Explorer of the Ses-----------Bermuda / Bahamas
May 2011: Celebrity, Equinox-----------------Eastern Mediterranean Cruisetour
Nov 2011: Celebrity, Silhouette---------------Eastern Caribbean
Feb 2013: Celebrity, Eclipse-------------------Exotic Southern Caribbean
Oct 2013: Celebrity, Century------------------Hawaii
April 2014: Celebrity, Infinity-----------------Panama Canal

Old June 20th, 2012, 11:31 PM
Cool Cruiser

I noticed on wine, in the MDR they never really poured one serving, it was more like 1.5 almost two each time. Maybe that's why you were being charged for three glasses..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Completed:Celebrity Millennium (TP), Carnival Inspiration, Celebrity Eclipse (TA), Carnival Conquest, Celebrity Eclipse (TA), Carnival Miracle, Carnival Imagination, Carnival Imagination, Carnival Fascination, Celebrity Solstice, Carnival Conquest, Carnival Sensation, Norwegian Sun (TA), Carnival Spirit, Carnival Imagination, Crown Princess(TA), Carnival Pride, Island Princess, Carnival Pride, Grand Princess, Grand Princess

165 Days at Sea and Counting!

Old June 20th, 2012, 11:44 PM
10,000+ Club

All good theories, as long as the price for the package doesn't change too much more than inflation then I suppose it doesn't matter.

Old June 21st, 2012, 08:40 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
no service problems at all. I wonder how their tips are calculated.
15% is added to the price of the package when you but it.

Old June 21st, 2012, 09:01 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Good advise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highlander1 View Post
You'll get the same excellent service with or without the drink card. In fact, we tip additional for every round we order and after a day or two, we find ourselves a good server and make sure we take care of them, as they take care of us. .....
I agree with you..on our Summit cruise earlier this month, after a couple of days, as soon as Patrick, the BarMan at the Aft Sunset Bar, saw me on that exterior stair platform heading down to the Bar..he had my drink ready...not only that..but he prepared my preference based on the time of day..Bloody Mary in the am, a Grey Goose on the rocks with a piece of a lime (usually he poured me a DOUBLE) in the afternoon and Remy Martin after dinner..the man is priceless..though I must admit..he was very well tipped..
Celebrity Summit-May 27 '12 to Bermuda--Reviewed at:
http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1645744
NCL GEM- Feb 13 2010 to Florida & Bahamas
Carnival LIBERTY- May2 2009 to Western Caribbean
RCI Mariner of the Seas-May 3 2009-LA to Mexican Riveria-CANCELLED due to Swine Flu
Celebrity INFINITY-July 25, 2008 Seattle to Alaska-see: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showt...5#post15677055
Carnival SPIRIT- Jan 10, 2007 San Diego to Mexican Rivera --(see last posts at http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showt...=364058&page=5 )
Carnival DESTINY- Feb 19, 2006 Puerto Rico to Southern Caribbean
Carnival VALOR- Feb. 20, 2005 Miami to Western Caribbean
Carnival LEGEND- Dec. 7, 2003 Miami to Western Caribbean
Carnival LEGEND- June 30, 2003 NYC to Eastern Caribbean
Carnival TRIUMPH- June 22, 2002 NYC to NOWHERE
RCI VOYAGER OF THE SEAS-Apr. 8, 2001 Miami to Western Caribbean
Carnival VICTORY- Aug. 2000 NYC to Canada
RCI NORDIC EMPRESS- Aug. 29, 1999 NYC to Bermuda
RCI LEGEND OF THE SEAS- Aug. 24, 1997 Vancuver to Alaska
Carnival FASCINATION- Aug. 26, 1995 Puerto Rico to Eastern Caribbean
NCL cruise to Bermuda-summer of "94 (avoiding the whole Horizon Legionnaires' Disease scare)
BIG RED Boat/Disneyland combo TWO Cruises during the early 90s (with our Toddler) Port Canaveral to Eastern Caribbean
MS Scandinavia Cruiseferry-November 1983 New York to Freeport on Grand Bahama Island plus transfer to the Scandinavian Sun from Freport to MIAMI (with our Automobile on board both ships for the return trip to NYC)
NCL Sunward II-Oct 1981 (our FIRST cruise)-Ft. Lauderdale to Bahamas

Old June 21st, 2012, 06:29 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by avid View Post
I agree with you..on our Summit cruise earlier this month, after a couple of days, as soon as Patrick, the BarMan at the Aft Sunset Bar, saw me on that exterior stair platform heading down to the Bar..he had my drink ready...not only that..but he prepared my preference based on the time of day..Bloody Mary in the am, a Grey Goose on the rocks with a piece of a lime (usually he poured me a DOUBLE) in the afternoon and Remy Martin after dinner..the man is priceless..though I must admit..he was very well tipped..
It is nice to get to the bar and have your drink waiting for you or even sit down in the lounge and have them delivered without the request. Great service should always be rewarded.